The morning weather forecast for Sunday, September 29th was dire but I’m please to say that all 22 teams entered turned up at Burridge. Although damp at times, the very heavy rain and thunderstorms kept away allowing the 2019 SCPA Mixed Doubles to be played in better condition than expected.
After the morning leagues, the top seeds were Karen Lombard and Jamie Brooks with an impressive 3 wins +31. The winners for the past two years, Paula Fauvel and David Franco Cruz were close behind with 3 wins +19. The only other team with 3 wins were Richard and Sue Greeves from the hosting club, Cobbetts.
The afternoon seeding put David and Paula up against 7th seeds Callum Lombard and Kaylee Thatcher, who they had beaten in the morning. This time Callum and Kaylee were the winners in a very tight and tense match. They then defeated Sue and Richard Greeves in the semi-final. In the other half of the draw, Karen and Jamie continued their winning ways defeating the junior team of Marc and Francesca in the last eight and then putting out Diane and Lee Redfern, who repeated their semi-final place of last year.
A very close and exciting final saw mother triumph over son, while Jamie continued the successful season for the region’s junior players.
David (with Paula) won the Main Consolage against his son Marc (with Francesca). The Plate was won by Jackie and Bernie who defeated Sam and Steve in the final. The Plate Consolage was won by Ali and Dave Stubbs against Tony and Maria.
The Wooden Spoon was run as a six team league with 3 games. The Portchester pair of Wendy and Mike came out winners being the best of the 3 teams who won 2 games, with Hilary and Ian 2nd.
- Winners: Karen Lombard (River Hamble) & Jamie Brooks (Adur)
- Runners-up: Kaylee Thatcher & Callum Lombard (River Hamble)
- Semi-finalists: Diane & Lee Redfern (Cobbetts)
- Semi-finalists: Sue & Richard Greeves (Cobbetts)
- Winners: Paula Fauvel (Fareham) & David Franco Cruz (Cobbetts)
- Runners-up: Francesca Evans-Jones (Adur) & Marc Franco Llado (Cobbetts)
- Winners: Jackie Lee (Fareham) & Bernie Miles (Cobbetts)
- Runners-up: Sam Thatcher & Steve Lombard (River Hamble)
- Semi-finalists: Sue Godwin & Chris Chubb (Muscliff)
- Semi-finalists: Angela Brooks (Worthing) & Alex Hepburn (River Hamble)
- Winners: Alison & Dave Stubbs (Cobbetts)
- Runners-up: Maria Cocozza (Handcross) & Tony Kidd (River Hamble)
- Winners: Wendy Hall & Mike Powlesland (Portchester)
- Runners-up: Hilary Kidd (Handcross) & Ian Dunt (Southsea)