Handcross Petanque welcomed a full house of 24 teams for their cash triples on 8th April. Although the weather was damp most visitors to Handcross have known worse and do not allow the weather to dampen their spirits.
The six morning leagues produced some tight matches with teams aiming for the gold knock-out. The standout team of the morning being Handcross Hopefuls – Anne Stanton, Sean Foord and Mike Greenaway having never played together before, with Sean having only played for three months romped to the afternoon gold spot.
The afternoon knock-out again produced some tight matches. In the Gold, the last four teams vying for a place in the Finals were Minions (reigning 2017 champions), Cobbetts Goodens, Fareham and Handcross Hopefuls. The Minions secured their place in the Final after a tough battle against Cobbetts Goodens and Handcross Hopefuls beat Fareham’s Mark, Malcolm & Hassi in a nail biting finale with both teams on 12 a piece. The defending champions Minions were taken to the wire before finally overcoming the Handcross Hopefuls – congratulations to the Minions and we have great expectations for the Handcross Hopefuls.
The Gold Consolage saw the Handcross teams Les Miseraboules and Crawley Boys lock horns for the title. The match was a see-saw game with Les Miseraboules taking two on the last end to win 13-12.
In the Silver another newly formed team from Handcross the Bouledozers had a brilliant day taking the title against the Goldsmiths. The Silver Consolage also produced a close match and was the last match to finish play, with London overcoming Bat & Ball. The Bronze Final resulted in the Crofters holding off Pitstop for the title and the Bronze Consolage saw Team Ellis finish as runners-up against Worthing 1.
Our thanks to Hilary Kidd for her tireless help with the scoring and keeping us all in order, also all of the Handcross members that prepared the piste, cooked the bacon rolls and tidied up.
- Winners: Minions (Dave Kilshaw, Carrie Litchfield, Paul & Sheila Hayward)
- Runners-Up: Handcross Hopefuls (Anne Stanton, Sean Foord, Mike Greenaway)
- Semi-Finalists: Cobbetts Goodens (Dave Stubbs, Richard Greeves, Steve Daykin)
- Semi-Finalists: Fareham (Hassi Leverett, Malcolm McKenzie, Mark Robertshaw)
- Winners: Les Miseraboules (Jane Sibbring, Brenda Steptoe, David Leech)
- Runners-Up – Crawley Boys (Gerard Poirier, John Bailey, Bill Mackrell)
- Winners: Bouledozers (Viv Ley, Tony, Mike Stanton)
- Runners-Up – Goldsmiths (Jeff Mitchell, A Smith, Peter May)
- Winners: London (Mark Barlow, Simon Adamsdale, Keith Vines)
- Runners-Up: Bat & Ball (Tim Edwins, Becky Edwins, Carolyn Edwins)
- Winners: Crofters (Colin Croft, Lesley Croft, Nigel Sibbring)
- Runners-Up: Pitstop (Paula Fauvel, Terry Rixon, Steve Brickel)
- Winners: Worthing 1 (Diana Hollis, Carole Turner, Dave Sutherland)
- Runners-Up: Team Ellis (Justin, Joe, Luke Ellis)