There were 23 teams entered for the 2021 SCPA Mixed Doubles at Burridge on Sunday, September 26th. Unfortunately one team had to drop out before start of play due to illness. This meant a hasty change to the morning leagues and afternoon Wooden Spoon competition but did mean there no was longer a bye. After the early cloud and mist had cleared we were left with a pleasantly warm and sunny day.
After the morning leagues, the top seeds were Kaylee Thatcher and Marc Franco Llado on 3 wins +22. Very close behind were Steve and Karen Lombard on +21. The only other team on 3 wins (+19) was Paula Fauvel and David Franco Cruz, winners in 2017 and 2018. The other league winners were Christine Peat and Frank Charlesworth and Carrie Litchfield and Mark Robertshaw.
The afternoon seeding put sisters Sammy and Kaylee against each other in the last 8 and Sammy and Mike were victorious. Karen and Steve, who had won a close game against Steve and Hassi in their morning league, found themselves playing them again in the last 8 and again came out on top.
A very close and exciting semi-final saw Paula and David just come out on top with a 13-12 victory over Steve & Karen. Sammy and Mike, also past winners in 2013, 2015 and 2016, overcame Frank and Christine in the other semi-final.
A hard fought final saw Paula and David run out winners over Sammy and Mike to take the trophy home for the third time.
Ali and Dave won the Plate competition against new Cobbetts member Terri Cox, playing in her first ever competition, with Bernie Miles.
The Wooden Spoon was run as a six team league with 3 games. The Clymping pair of Marilyn and Keith were the winners being the only team to win all 3 games. Hilary and Mark were runners-up, finishing just ahead of junior Matthew Butcher playing with his grandmother Karen Chubb.
- Winners: Paula Fauvel (Fareham) & David Franco Cruz (Cobbetts)
- Runners-up: Sammy Ogles (River Hamble) & Mike Tull (Cobbetts)
- Semi-finalists: Karen Lombard & Steve Lombard (River Hamble)
- Semi-finalists: Christine Peat and Frank Charlesworth (Bedouins)
- Winners: Kaylee Thatcher (River Hamble) & Marc Franco Llado (Cobbetts)
- Runners-up: Hassi Leverett and Steve Daykin (Cobbetts)
- Winners: Ali & Dave Stubbs (Cobbetts)
- Runners-up: Terri Cox & Bernie Miles (Cobbetts)
- Semi-finalists: Jackie Corp (Shedfield) and Steve Brickell (Cobbetts)
- Semi-finalists: Angela Brooks (Worthing) & Alex Hepburn (Parley)
- Winners: Sheila and Paul Hayward (Fareham)
- Runners-up: Carole Turner and Martin Gordon (Worthing)
- Winners: Marilyn & Keith Wannell (Clymping)
- Runners-up: Hilary Kidd (Handcross) & Mark Duncan (River Hamble)