In between two blazing hot days, the Arundel Summer Open on 7th July was treated to a somewhat damper day! Although run by Arundel Petanque Club, the event, playing for the Liz Hordern Cup, was held at Worthing PC due to a double-booking by the Arundel football club. And how grateful we were to Worthing for coming to our rescue! Many thanks to them.
We had 36 teams from as far away as Coventry and Bath, and played the usual leagues and knock-out format with 16 teams going through to the Main, 16 to the Plate and the remaining 4 to the Spoon. There were consolages in both the Main and the Plate. We were pleased to welcome teams from Cranleigh PC for some of whom this was their first time with us and for some their first competition. We were especially pleased to have 7 juniors playing.
The results were as follows……
- Winners: Caraculos – David Franco Cruz (Cobbetts) & Graham Elcome (Adur)
- Runners-up: Like Father Like Son – Eric Geddes (Arundel) & John Geddes (Coventry)
- Winners: Blue-Eyed Peas – Paula Fauvel (Fareham) & Paul Hayes (Muscliff)
- Runners-up: Toncar – Tony Jackson (Worthing/Arundel) & Carol Turner (Worthing)
- Winners: Bouledogs – Martin Gordon (Worthing) & Angela Brooks (Worthing/Arundel)
- Runners-up: Hawthorn- Rod Bennett (Cobbetts) & Frankie Bennett (Cobbetts)
- Winners: Just Here for the Beer – Andy Davies (Arundel) & Mervyn Waller (Arundel)
- Runners-up: Twin Carbs – David Andrew (Cranleigh) & Jenny Andrew Cranleigh
- Winners: The 2 Js – Jill Geddes (Arundel) & Jane Geddes (Coventry)
- Runners-up: Meander – Steve Love (Arundel) & Sue Sandy (Cobbetts/Arundel)
Shoot the Egg
- Winner: Tony Giordano (Muscliff)