Worthing Petanque Club lost its reputation for sunny weather with a real stinker of a day for the Open Doubles on 29 July. Strong winds and torrential rain were the story of the day. Of the 24 teams who had entered, 10 dropped out having seen the forecast, but 14 was enough for a viable competition. Leagues in the morning, with a knockout Gold for the top eight and a league of 6 for the Silver.
Results as follows:
- Gold winners: Diana Hollis and Chris Hunt
- Gold runners/up: Martin Gordon and Nigel Sibbring
- Gold semi-finalists: Duncan Brown and Gary Kelynack, Tony Kidd and Alex Hepburn
- Gold consolage winners: Hassi Leverett and Graham Elcome
- Gold consolage runners up: Steven and Ella Slade
- Silver winners (joint): Michael Moore and Lesley McMurdie; Bernie Miles and Stuart Cursley